Table of Contents
Best Blenders for Making Your Own Hummus At Home
In our opinion Hummus is one of life’s small treasures. It is such a versatile food and can be enjoyed in so many ways.
The only thing that is better than hummus is homemade hummus – and it could not be simpler when you are using the right blender for the job.
To help you enjoy some homemade hummus we have put together this round up of the Best Blenders for Making Hummus in your very own kitchen.
To help with the decision making, we have also included a Buyer’s Guide to step you through the features to look for in your next blender.
How to Make Your Own Hummus
Hummus is a healthy nutritious snack that is celebrated in many cultures around the world. In this section we are going to give you some tips and tricks for making your very own hummus at home in a blender.
First we have to make sure that we have a suitable mixture for the blender – you will find the best blenders for making hummus below. However, if you do already have a food processor, you may need to cook the chickpeas beforehand before you can blend them into hummus. The chickpeas should be cooked for at least 30 minutes so that they are soft and easily blendable. If you don’t have time to cook the chickpeas, you can buy canned chickpeas that have already been cooked, it will make a difference to the consistency of your hummus, but the option is there. Once you have added the chickpeas to the food processor add the tahini, lemon juice, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend the mixture for at least 5 minutes, then allow to cool.
In addition to providing you with an easy and delicious recipe, we will also give you some pointers for ensuring the success of your recipe. Here are a few tips for making your own hummus
- As you make hummus, you will notice that the mixture is hot and you can add the ingredients to the blender as it is blending. Don’t put anything into the blender to be blended too soon or your ingredient will be mashed and the hummus will be hard to incorporate into your other ingredients.
- In addition to putting your ingredients into the blender at the right time, avoid putting in large quantities of ingredients. This will result in a smoother and more consistent hummus.
Must Have Features for the Best Blender for Making Hummus
|Top||Ninja BL770 Mega Kitchen System and Blender with Total Crushing Pitcher, Food Processor Bowl, Dough Blade, To Go Cups, 1500-Watt Base, Black||Learn more|
|Magiccos Food Processor, 7-in-1 Versatile Food Chopper, Variable Speeds plus Pulse (14 Cup)||Learn more|
|Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender - Fourside Jar (75 oz), Professional-Grade Power-6 Pre-Programmed Cycles-10-Speeds, Black||Learn more|
Ninja Mega Kitchen System and Blender
We have reviewed many different blenders from Ninja, as they are a very reputable brand with quality products. They are also a reader favorite as you can see from the review ratings they receive.
With this particular Ninja Blender set you are receiving a lot of value, with several different accessories and blender options.
To begin , you don’t only receive one blender, you actually receive a 72 oz pitcher, a processing bowl that can fit 8 cups of food, a dough blade and many more containers to choose from.
For making hummus, the processing bowl is our preference out of all the options included in this value pack. The reason we like this mixing chamber is purely due to it’s capacity limits and the blade rotary action. It helps to churn the ingredients around the wide mixing bowl, producing a smooth and consistent hummus.
With a powerful 1,500 watt motor, you won’t need to worry about inconsistent hummus and the dishwasher friendly containers make cleaning up after use a cinch.
- value packed blender bundle with many blending options
- dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- easy to operation and powerful motor
- not 100% plastic free for people who are adament about non-toxic appliances
- 72 ounce total crushing pitcher pulverizes ice to snow in seconds for creamy frozen drinks and smoothies; 2 horsepower
- Eight cup food processor bowl provides perfect, even chopping and makes up to 2 pounds of dough in 30 seconds
- Two 16 ounce Nutri Ninja cups with to go lids are perfect for creating personalized, nutrient rich drinks to take on the go
- Dishwasher safe and BPA free parts
- Includes: 1500-Watt Motor Base, 72-Oz. Total Crushing Pitcher, 8 Cup Food Processor Bowl, Dough Blade, (2) 16-Oz. Nutri Ninja Cups with To-Go-Lids
Magiccos Food Processor
The next blender we are going to recommend is the Magiccos Food Processor. Okay, so we know this isn’t exactly a blender by the usual definition. However we think this one deserves to be mentioned because of the flexibility it allows with the variable speeds and pulsing action of the blades.
The Magiccos gives you full control over how you want your hummus to come out after being processed. With seven variable speeds and pulsing functions, you can speed up or slow down the blade operations to ensure you make hummus to your own personal preference.
The Magiccos also has pulsing actions to help maintain the integrity of the motor, to ensure you don’t over process and wear out the internal mechanisms and 1,000 watt motor.
With a huge 14 cup capacity in the mixing chamber, you will definitely not be short of home made hummus for a while.
We love that the container is dishwasher safe and has a double safety lock to ensure there are no accidents or spillages while the food is being processed.
- huge 14 cup capacity in the mixing chamber to allow for bulk processing
- dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- intuitive speed and pulse control in the food processing
- safe double lock action on the container
- not 100% plastic free
- only comes with one container
- 🍑【7 Multifunctional Accessories】7 Versatile accessories allow you to make almost everything! Magiccos FP 416A comes with chopping blade, dough blade, reversible shredding/slicing/mashing blade disc and spatula. As your professional assistance, delivering the great solution to your everyday needs !
- 🍑【14 Cup Capacity & Powerful 1000W Copper Motor】14 cup food processor bowl is suitable for most households, especially for party-throwers. It is versatile and large enough to handle various tasks like chopping beef and making dough. Also, 1000W motor will bring more powerful performance than most of the traditional food processor to you, perfect for cutting hard ingredients up efficiently.
- 🍑【Unique Digital Touch Panel】Instead of the normal physical buttons, Magiccos electric food chopper comes with a touch panel & LCD display screen with a timer. With only one rotary switch, you can turn it to select 7 speeds as you wish. Smoothie & meat chopping & ice crush functions are surprises for you! These 3 auto pre-program can free your hand for a specific job without keep watch all the time.
- 🍑【7 Variable Speeds & Pulse Function】Instead of classic low/ medium/high speed control, Magiccos premium food processor comes with 7 variable speeds and pulse function, processing various food in seconds. Pulsing lets you incrementally chop food and control the blade to limit your risk of over-processing. Exactly a product every family should have.
- 🍑【Dishwasher Safe & Dual Protection】Double safety lock on the base and lid allows you to use it safely, Magiccos food processor only start to work when the body base & the bowl, the bowl &the lid are firmly and correctly locked. 4 suckers could prevent it from moving on your kitchen counter during the working. Also, all removable parts are dishwasher safe (base can not be washed by the dishwasher). We know the last thing you wanna do is do the dishes.
Blendtec Original Professional Grade
Blendtec is one of the the other major competitors in the blender space and is also well reknown amongst blending enthusiasts.
The Blendtec Original Professional Grade Blender uses a 1,560 watt powered motor and has 6 pre-programmed cycles that can be set in motion with a push of a button.
The one that is of particular interest to us for making hummus, is the pulse setting that helps to push the chickpeas and oil around the capsule. We love that you can actually control the speed while the food is processing, so to ensure that the ingredients are not overprocessed and you end up with a consistency you enjoy in your hummus.
The container is a 75 ounce jar which allows for large batches of hummus to be blitzed in a matter of minutes.
- reputable American owned family business with quality products
- easy self cleaning mode by just adding warm soapy water
- 8 year warranty for the blender
- not 100% plastic free
- can be a little bit noisy
- Easy blending cycles: 1-touch buttons, 6 pre-programmed cycles, pulse, and 10 speed manual control with the ability to achieve a variety of textures. Complete control to adjust your blending at any time while blending
- Patented blade/80% thicker: stainless-steel forged blade, with wings, for amazingly smooth blends (10x stronger than other blender blades). note: Blade is not sharp, blade is dull. No more cuts and pokes. Self-cleaning: add a little soap and water, your jar can clean itself in less than 1 minute
- Large batches: BPA-free four-sided jar is a 75 ounce volume jar with 32 ounce blending capacity (wet or dry) ideal for blending beverages for 3-4 people
- Warming Soup: Blendtec blenders heat soups and drinks through blade friction heat. Enjoy a warm meal or beverage in 6 minutes or less. Electrical ratings: Volts 120, Watt 1560, Hz 50-60, amp 13, cord: feet 35inches/3 feet
- 8 year warranty/American Company: Family-owned and driven to build the best quality products - without compromise. Engineered and assembled in the USA.
Must Have Features in the Best Blenders for Making Hummus
Blender Design (Blade and Mixing chamber)
At Nuala London we consider this to be one of the more important features to consider when looking at your next blender.
The design of the blades and mixing chamber of a blender can make the difference between a consistent smooth hummus, or a chunky inconsistent hummus.
First of all a good blade design in a blender will ensure the ingredients at the top of the blender is pulled down into the mix and makes contact with the blades. This means at no point in time is any of the mixture static or staying in the one place.
The other aspect that helps to continually move the chickpeas and oil in the mixture is the container design. We favor containers that have no sharp corners or edges on the inside of the mixing chamber. This ensures that none of the mixture is caught in a dead spot and not mixed in properly with the rest of the ingredients.
What blenders are made out of is becoming more and more important as people are aware of toxins leaching into the food they are consuming.
Individuals are favoring plastic free options in blenders and metal alternatives to avoid any chance of toxic chemcials.
The materials of the blades also contributes to the longevity of the blender and how well it breaks down the ingredients. Generally speaking you will be looking for stainless steel blades or a toughened form of metal that resists corrosion and is dishwasher safe.
When it comes to making hummus in a blender, you won’t require too much power in the blender. This is the case because generally speaking the chickpeas and ingredients you are mixing will be presoaked and softened.
We recommend looking for a blender that has a minimum of 800 watts of power in the motor to achieve a pallatable consistency in your hummus. Anything less and you may end up with a rougher version of hummus or something that has inconsistent parts and unprocessed chunks.
Making hummus can be one of the most satisfying activities you can do in your very own kitchen. However to make hummus you are going to need the best blender for making hummus. We have provided you with a complete guide for choosing the right blender for you to begin your hummus making journey.
However, for those of you that just want the quick and easy solution, we have also provided you with our recommend top 3 blenders for making hummus. Choosing any one of these blenders will have you enjoying home made hummus in a matter of minutes.
Let us know how your home made hummus went in the comments below – how did you make it unique and different?