Table of Contents
Top Reviews for the Best Knife for Dicing and Slicing Onions
Whether you’re dicing an onion for a soup or salad, you should explore your options. Depending on your technique and your tools, you’ll experience different results.
That said, I have a few general guidelines for what to look for in a knife in our buyers guide.
Choosing the right knife for your kitchen is an important decision.
There are a plethora of knives out there, each with their own specialty.
But if there’s one knife that you should have, it’s a sharp, high-quality chef knife.
This post is all about the best chef knives for dicing onions.
Here are my tips for choosing the right knife for your kitchen.
Top 3 Reviews for the Best Knife for Dicing Onions
|Top||Damascus Chef Knife Petty Hajegato Unique One Of Kind Handle Professional 6 Inch Japanese Chefs Kitchen Knife Vg10 67 Layers Damascus Steel Knive with Sheath||Learn more|
|WÜSTHOF Classic 8 Inch Chef’s Knife,Black,8-Inch||Learn more|
|Global 8" Chef's Knife||Learn more|
Wusthof Classic Chef’s Knife – 8 Inch 4582-20
When it comes to a great all round chef’s knife, it would be hard to pass by the 8 inch Wusthof Classic Chef’s Knife.
Westhof is a very reputable brand in the kitchen utensils space, with most of it’s products known for their quality and longevity.
The 8-inch Classic Chef’s Knife is a staple within the Wusthof range, specifically for chopping, slicing and dicing for vegetables (or onions in our case).
As you can guess, it comprises an 8-inch blade with a 4.5 inch (ca. 11 cm) handle that sits snugly within your grip. Wusthof boast an ergonomic design, to ensure comfort and safety while you are using the knife.
One feature that Wusthof believe gives them the edge over their competition (pun intended), is their Precision Edge Technology which they claim yields a 20% sharper edge retention.
- very reputable brand known for quality
- leading knife-edge technology to ensure long-lasting sharpness retention
- very comfortable to use and well-balanced
- this classic chef’s knife is not on the budget end of the spectrum, and for good reason. It is a quality knife.
- doesn’t have much aesthetic appeal
- KITCHEN WORKHORSE – The WÜSTHOF 8” Classic Chef’s Knife is essential for preparing any meal. This all-purpose cook’s knife can be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – The full Tang, Triple Riveted handles of the classic line offer the widest range of cutlery that can satisfy every home cook or professional chef. The WÜSTHOF classic series has been our best-selling series for generations
- CHEF’S KNIFE – Features an 8” long blade, 4.5” long handle and weighs 8.5 ounce Full Bolster and Finger Guard, German Made Cook’s Knife. Ergonomic handle design made from a long-lasting synthetic material to resist fading and discoloration
- PRECISION FORGED – The 8” Chef’s Knife is forged from a single block of high carbon stainless steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- ENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
Damascus Chef Knife with Unique One of a Kind Handle
Unlike the Wusthof, this knife has a lot of eye appeal. You will know what we mean as soon as you lay your eyes on the Damascus Chef Knife. The handle is an art piece on it’s own. Not to mention the marbled blade of the chef’s knife.
However, the Damascus is not only a beautiful knife to look at, it has also been thoughtfully designed. It is a perfectly balanced knife that has a double beveled edge for easier slicing of your food.
The handle not only looks fantastic, but it is also designed with safety in mind. The closer grip design ensures knuckles are neatly tucked away and is meant to encourage the professional rocking style motion of cutting.
The prized feature of the Damascus Knife is the metal of the 6 inch blade. It is 67 layers of of damascus steel with a 60-62 hardness level. It has also undergone deep vacuum cooling which provides the blade with corrosion resistant properties.
- stunning showpiece knife that will wow guests in your kitchen
- unique 67 layer damascus steel for a sharp and corrosion resistant blade
- comes with its own protective sheath
- since this is a knife that is on show, it will require additional maintenance and care to ensure it is maintained appropriately
- only 6 inches (ca. 15 cm), which means it may not be suitable for cutting larger foods
- UNIQUE & BEAUTIFUL : Do you want to stand out in any professionals Kitchen or Impress your guests at home while cooking you made the right choice. Our Unique chefs Petty one of a kind handle damascus knife comes with different color combinations and design complemented by Damascus stainless steel curling pattern blades without which no chefs knife set will be complete. EACH KITCHEN KNIVES is AS UNIQUE & COOL AS YOU ARE.
- COMFORT & DESIGN : Elegantly designed by a chef our Damascus knife is perfectly balanced with a double beveled edge, razor sharp knife with exceptional professional performance. Our blade design is for maximum knuckle clearance allowing a closer grip of the handle to the blade guard fingers & encouraging the rocking motion cutting style to protect your hands & make easy for many hours of precise cuts eg. filleting knife, carving knife, chopping knife, raw meat, tomato, fish, vegetable & fruit.
- QUALITY : Japanese Knife with a use high carbon content VG 10 cutting core 67 layers damascus steel knife 60-62 hardness, deep vacuum cooling makes it corrosion resistant chefs knives with mirror hand sharpened edge V Taper Grinding, each side ground 9-11 degree angle which delivers its sharpness.
- WARRANTY & RANDOM COLORS ( please note Colours will be different from pictures) : Japanese knives each octagonal handle is different. We are not sure which color you will receive but we believe it will be a pleasant surprise. Our kitchen knives comes G10 stabilised natural wood. Strong and extremely durable. Processed with environmentally friendly glue & compressed into the wood block with natural dye colors and a lifetime warranty on manufacturers defects.
- Prefect GIFTS for Mothers Day : Damascus steel is sharp and the patterned decoration is world class, making them ideal japanese gifts for women, men, Mothers day, Fathers day, home cook, professional chefs culinary art students and more. DONT cut frozen foods or use as a butchers knife or cleaver. Always use a sharpening stone or diamond steel knife sharpener and Chopping boards.
Global 8 inch Chef’s Knife
The final knife in our top 3 best knives to chop onions is the Global 8-inch Chef’s Knife.
This is a more traditional looking knife that you would expect to see in every household.
With an 8-inch blade, this knife is precisely balanced for easy and comfortable use.
It is made of a high-tech molbdenum/vanadiumm stainless steel metal, which provides strength and precision when cutting. The high-tech metal also retains its razor sharpness so you can enjoy the use of the knife for many years.
Last but not least is the dimpled handle pattern design that Global have become renowned for. The dimples provide extra safety for a tight grip, so you won’t experience any nasty cuts and injuries. This is especially handy when your eyes are watering from chopping onions.
It is also worthy to note that Global provide a lifetime warranty for defects and breakages of their knives. This is always a plus in our books as it says to the consumer that the company stands behind their provides quality.
- lifetime warranty on knives
- comfortable and safe handle for a tight grip
- made of a high-tech molbdenum/vanadiumm stainless steel metal for longevity and sharpness
- is not budget friendly
- Lightweight, precisely balanced 8-inch or 20cm chefs knife
- Blade made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel
- Edge retains razor sharpness exceptionally well
- Stainless-steel handle molded for Comfort, dimpled for safe grip
- Lifetime warranty against defects and breakage
Buyers Guide for Buying the Best Knife for You
In this section we are going to look at the features of a knife that will make the difference between a good knife and a great knife.
Material and Construction
If you are going to buy the best knives, you should look for ones that are made from single pieces of metal (including the handle). Being made from a single piece of metal provides the knife with durability and strength. This results in fewer breakages and a knife that will last a lot longer than other inferior knives.
You will notice a trend that many of the best knives are made from varieties of stainless steel or high carbon stainless steel. This is because stainless steel possesses anti-corrosive and anti-staining properties, making it ideal for crafting knives. In addition, stainless steel is a strong metal that can retain a sharp edge for years if maintained and cared for appropriately.
You may think the main thing to consider when purchasing a knife is how sharp the blade is. However, the handle on a knife is just as important as the blade. Without a well-designed handle, a knife would be next to useless.
For a handle to be effective, it should be ergonomically designed and sit comfortably in your hand. You should not need to grip the knife with a strong grip, otherwise the knife could slip out of your hand and potentially injure yourself or other people.
In addition to the comfort factor, there should also be a distinct presence of non-slip features such as bumps or grooves on the knife’s handle for grip. These features are there for safety and are generally included on the best knives available.
Balance and Safety
Only the best knives are well-balanced.
The balance of a knife is important because it aids in the natural cutting motion. When you use a balanced knife, you do not require much force to cut through the toughest of foods and materials.
To tell if a knife is well-balanced, simply place the knife on the tip of your finger at the point where the handle meets the blade, it should sit perfectly balanced.
The balance of a knife becomes important when it is being used. If a knife is not well-balanced, it will be difficult to use and may force an individual to hold or use the knife inappropriately. This can lead to safety issues and potentially end in injuries.
Finding the best knife for dicing onions is not an easy task when you are confronted with so many options.
Using our buyers guide to navigate between the options should assist to narrow down your options to only the best of the best.
If you want a quick and easy path to finding the right knife for you, choose from our top 3 recommendations for the best knives and you won’t be disappointed.